organised by the wardens of All Saints Church, Huntsham
For a new boiler for the church
Fundraising Tea & Cake Morning
Wednesday, 8 April 2015, 10.00-12.00
Including a produce and cake sale and charity raffle
There’s nothing a like hot brew and a slice of fresh cake and a good old natter to make a morning. All the more more special when it is all for charity to raise money for the new village church boiler.
All proceeds will go to the church’s new boiler.
Please contact Joyce on 01398 361 328
All Saints Church
All Saints Church is at the centre of Huntsham Village and is a wonderful listed building still used by the community and a operation Church of England church, which hosts many weddings every year.
English Heritage describes it as: The rest of the church was completely rebuilt 1854-6 by Benjamin Ferrey for A.H.D. Troyte who designed some of the details himself; north aisle added 1871 after Troyte’s death but probably also designed by Ferrey. Stone rubble with Ham Hill dressings, Sussex tiled roof with crested ridge tiles. The plan is of west tower, nave, chancel, north transept, l-bay south aisle east of the porch- only, 2-bay north aisle, south porch, south east vestry. The design is unusual, the short south aisle with a lean-to roof conceived as a children’s aisle, judging from interior fittings. Stylistically a mixture of Perpendicular and Decorated with high quality details and rich in C19 fittings. Exterior: Decorated windows to the chancel, the east window designed by Troyte, the north window a re-used Decorated medieval window with volcanic tracery; good carved label stops to the 1850s windows and a stone wall-plate carved with bellflowers. Gabled north transept, north side windows square-headed Perpendicular style. South aisle and vestry with lean-to roofs; 2-centred doorway into vestry; mixture of square-headed and arched south side windows: all windows have C19 saddle bars and trefoil-headed stanchions. Slim battlemented west tower without pinnacles, partly medieval, partly rebuilt in the 1850s when it was “taken down to the upper string, and a turret was raised at the north-east angle”. It is not clear from this whether the entire projecting rectangular turret is C19 or only the upper portions-. All the openings appear to be C19, west doorway, Perpendicular west window; plate-traceried belfry openings, bellringers’ opening on south face. Coped gabled south porch with C19 moulded outer and inner doorways and C19 arched brace roof.
Interior: Good C19 fittings and a series of C19 windows which add to the internal coherence. Plastered walls; timber chancel arch; rounded tower arch springing from plain imposts; 3-bay north arcade (1 bay to the transept) with double-chamfered cranked arches on octagonal piers with moulded capitals and carved corbels to the responds; similar arch into south aisle. Unceiled wagon roofs to nave and chancel, the chancel roof boarded above the sanctuary and with carved timber corbels below the wall-plate. Unceiled keeled wagon to north transept, boarded lean-to roof to south aisle panelled with applied mouldings and stars; collar rafter roof to north aisle. Good tiled floors throughout, more richly decorated in the sanctuary and chancel which has an inlaid brass commemorating Dr Troyte, died 1852. C20 timber reredos, the 1850s communion boards now sited below the tower. 1850s timber altar rail and choir stalls with carved ends; low timber chancel screen incorporating fragments of medieval tracery; eagle lectern fixed to screen. The nave has an 1850s timber pulpit incorporating circa early C16 bench ends; octagonal stone font commemorating Fanny Troyte, died 1856; set of C19 bench ends with foliage carving. C19 lamp-holders survive intact ; fine brass and inlay nave corona. The east wall of the south aisle is filled with a large painting on tin of St Agnes, commemorating Agnes Mills, died 1895. Carefully-designed C19 stained glass by Wailes: grisaille designs to the chancel, quarries with texts to the nave and aisles, the texts in the south aisle indicating its function as a children’s aisle. West window of north aisle pictorial, incorporating late C15 fragments. Various texts on tin survive from the 1850s rebuilding. Commemorative brass to Troyte and his wife in north aisle erected by his children. Troyte was High Church patron with an active involvement in the restoration of Huntsham and other churches in the Diocese. A full account of his rebuilding of Huntsham is given in the Transactions of the Exeter Diocesan Architectural Society After Troyte’s death Benjamin Ferrey rebuilt Huntsham Court (qv), adjacent to the church, with which it forms an important C19 group.
For more information about our programme of Huntsham Hotspots, where we give free or discounted use of the house and grounds for cultural or charitable endeavour please go to our Hotspots page: